Debbie Flynn

Basia Kolosinska

Basia Kolosinska

Claire Steiner

Claire Steiner

Jonathan Wall

Jonathan Wall

Credit Card Chargebacks

If You have successfully defended a Credit Card Charge back, and I saw in an earlier post that for every $100 a Chargeback can cost the Mercant $140. Can you serve notice to the Client that you would expext those charges to be reclaimed from them? And What should be the next step the Client should take? we have asked them initially to Ask their Insurers,and I believe they were waiting to see which came back first to help their claim so at the same time as initiating two Chargebacks ( 1 for Deposit and 1 for Balance) they also went to claim from Insurers. Under the Ever Changing advice from ABTA, I guess the best option would be for us to contact the clients and suggest we ask the Operator to now give a reasonable Timeframe for Full Refund?

4 Collaborators
Lee Harrison
Lee HarrisonOwner / Director
Lee Harrison
Alan BowenManaging Partner

2 responses
Alan BowenAlan Bowen23 May 2020 17:07

As an agent, so long as your documentation is clear, you should not be suffering chargebacks for the failure of a tour operator to refund. Indeed Visa and Mastercard appear to have been very reluctant to agree with chargebacks in those circumstances, Amex, on the other hand, puts the customer first every time and is more difficult.

If unsuccessful requests for chargebacks are made, you really shouldn't be suffering any charge from the card issuer, it depends on the wording of your agreement. If it is as high as you suggest, it may be time to look for a different card processor!

Customers are finding it almost impossible to make successful claims against insurers who will only pay out as a last resort and usually only when there is no package contract involved as they take the view the operator is legally responsible to refund. Most agents have found that if customers are updated with timescales that operators are working to arrange refunds, they will accept the situation. If the operator is silent or refusing refunds then report the issue to ABTA. It is OK to offer a Refund Credit Note if the customer is happy to accept it but refunds are a legal right

22 May 2020 14:05
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your question. I've passed it on to one of our experts and will post the reply here once I have it.

Many thanks
TTG - Travel Trade Gazette
For Smarter, Better, Fairer Travel
B Corp-certified
TTG Media Limited.
Place of registration: England and Wales.
Company number 08723341.
Registered address: 6th Floor, 2 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU