Debbie Flynn

Basia Kolosinska

Basia Kolosinska

Claire Steiner

Claire Steiner

Jonathan Wall

Jonathan Wall

PTRs
The following question was emailed to us by one of our readers, Andrew Melley of Travel Destinations Limited.

"Do the Package Travel Regulations apply to customers who’ve made reservations with us living outside of the EU, say USA or Australia?"

Andrew - one of our experts will be in touch with an answer shortly.

Thanks
4 Collaborators
Abra Dunsby
Former Member
Abra Dunsby
Abra DunsbyFormer TTG Features Editor
Abra Dunsby
Alan BowenManaging Partner

2 responses
Abra DunsbyAbra Dunsby24 Apr 2020 16:49
We received the following query during our Keep Your Business Alive seminar on 23 April:

"Where does a customer stand when booking a holiday now for a future date of travel whilst the FCO advice against travel is in place? Are they still protected under PTR if their travel is interrupted later due to Covid-19? Should tour operators make this clear?"

We've had the following response from Kemp Little's Farina Azam:

"Yes – if the customer books a trip for future travel and by the time it gets to the departure date, the FCO advisory against travel remains in place, the customer should be entitled to cancel and receive a full refund."

Alan BowenAlan Bowen06 Apr 2020 16:11

If you have only a single set of booking conditions, you may have given the customer the rights within the contract anyway. It is possible to use different terms to contract with non EU or UK citizens but few companies appear to do so and certainly, the UK Package Regulations make it clear that any UK based business must provide financial protection irrespective of the point of departure

Former Member Former Member06 Apr 2020 17:32

Thanks Alan much appreciated. I now have a another question for you.

I understand from my contact at Cardnet, the maximum length of time a Chargeback can be imposed by a customer is 120 days. Is this correct?

TTG - Travel Trade Gazette
For Smarter, Better, Fairer Travel
B Corp-certified
TTG Media Limited.
Place of registration: England and Wales.
Company number 08723341.
Registered address: 6th Floor, 2 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU
We use cookies so we can provide you with the best online experience. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click on the banner to find out more.
Cookie Settings