Debbie Flynn

Basia Kolosinska

Basia Kolosinska

Claire Steiner

Claire Steiner

Jonathan Wall

Jonathan Wall

U.K holiday let & Vulnerable customers

Hello, is there any guidance on U.K. self catering accommodation and what date they should be currently closed to?
A property owner we work with has advised 30th April but cannot see anything and not sure where this guidance has come from.
We have a holiday booked here for our customer who is due to travel mid May but in the vulnerable group category therefore told by gp to self isolate for 12 weeks which would take them into June.

The owner has offered to transfer holiday but only to dates from Oct - Feb, which is our of season and the customer cannot do any of the dates anyway.

I wondered if there is guidance also on what U.K. property owners are obliged to be offering.. for example ‘like for like’ or full refunds?

1 Collaborators
Bethany Nadin
Madeleine BarberHead of partner content

2 responses
Madeleine BarberMadeleine Barber09 Apr 2020 15:58

Hi Bethany,

I have had the following response from Matt Purser at the Travel Trade Consultancy:

"The FCO have obviously advised against any international travel but even in the UK we are in a lockdown and this would not count as essential travel. There is no fixed date around this at the moment although it is being reviewed over the next week, so we should then receive an update.

"If the lockdown continues, which we expect it will, then it is unlikely that the property owner will be able to offer the property and fulfil the booking. At that point the customer would be entitled to a refund although I suspect the property owner will want to offer an alternative date. The customer can then accept the date change or get a refund."

Hope that helps!

Madeleine BarberMadeleine Barber08 Apr 2020 16:42

Hi Bethany,

Thank you for your question. We will ask our experts and get back to you as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Maddie

TTG - Travel Trade Gazette
For Smarter, Better, Fairer Travel
B Corp-certified
TTG Media Limited.
Place of registration: England and Wales.
Company number 08723341.
Registered address: 6th Floor, 2 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU