The Balearic Islands Tourism Board has urged tourists and the trade Majorca remains “open and fully functional” following flash floods earlier this week.
At least 12 people – including two Britons - died after torrential rainstorms hit the area around Sant Llorenc des Cardassar on Tuesday night.
Antony and Delia Green are believed to have died along with taxi driver Juan Sillero when their car was swept away by a torrent of water.
Jaume Alzamora, director of the tourism board said it and the Balearic Islands goverment was “deeply saddened” by the deaths, going to stress the freak nature of the floods.
“We would like to clarify that the floods were an isolated incident and the first of their
kind to happen in the Balearic Islands in 80 years,” he said.
“The floods were contained to the small area of Sant Llorenc in the north-east of the island and have not affected Majorca’s main tourist destinations with hotels, restaurants, as well as other tourist infrastructure remaining open and fully functional.
Local authorities including 630 emergency services professionals are currently working to assist those who have been affected and return the affected area to normal.
World number one tennis star Rafael Nadal, who is from Majorca, was seen joining in with the clean-up effort.
“The tourist board is working in solidarity with the local Mallorcan community to rapidly clean up and repair the affected area. We would like to reassure visitors that the rest of the island is unaffected and we ask that British holidaymakers and the travel industry support us with continuing their holidays as planned,” Alzamora added.