More than 50 Hurtigruten guests and crew have now tested positive for Covid-19 following two Tromso-Svalbard voyages last month, Norway’s institute of public health (NIPH) has confirmed.
Earlier this week, Hurtigruten admitted serious failings in the way it dealt with the outbreak onboard MS Roald Amundsen spanning two back-to-back sailings over 14-24 July and 24-31 July.
The NIPH department director Line Vold confirmed on Wednesday (5 August) a further seven new cases have been confirmed among passengers, and two more among crew, bringing the total number to 53 – 16 passengers and 37 crew.
Four crew have been hospitalised after contracting Covid-19, two of whom have since since been discharged.
Meawnhile, passengers from seven counties in Norway have now been confirmed to have the infection.
"The passengers on the two voyages must be quarantined and followed up by the local health services where they live," said the NIPH in a statement, confirming the quarantine period should be 10 days, which has now expired following the first voyage.
"It is important all municipalities [in Norway] now receiving inquiries from passengers from MS Roald Amundsen and the voyage from 24-31 July prioritise testing, so we can get an overview at the national level of the consequences of the outbreak, and thus prevent further spread," said Vold, adding passengers not displaying symptoms should also be tested.