Hello! You are viewing your 1 free guest article this week

Please log in or join now for free, immediate and unlimited access to our award-winning online content. Find out more...

Join us
Already a member? Log in here

Travel industry news

13 Sep 2018

BY Gary Noakes


UK citizens will need permit to drive in EU after Brexit, government says

UK driving licence-holders are being advised to buy at least one of two special permits for use in the EU in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Car hire (stock)

Get a permit if you want to drive in EU after Brexit, says government

The International Driving Permit will go on sale on February 1 next year, costing £5.50. In its latest advisory, the Home Office says that UK citizens will need to use this in conjunction with their existing licence after March 29, when the UK leaves the EU.


There are two types of IDP, one valid for 12 months for Ireland, Spain, Malta and Cyprus and the other for the remaining EU countries, which lasts three years. Traveller crossing, for example, from Spain to Portugal, will need both.


MORE: What the government’s no-deal Brexit papers mean for travel


The government will begin providing IDPs on February 1 at 2,500 Post Offices across the UK. It will announce which Post Office branches will offer IDPs in early 2019.


The Home Office advisory warns: “You may be turned away at the border or face other enforcement action, for example fines, if you don’t have the correct IDP.


“You may also need an IDP to hire a vehicle when you are abroad.”

Add New Comment
Please sign in to comment.
Show me more

Follow Us

TTG Media Limited.
Place of registration: England and Wales.
Company number 08723341.
Registered address: New Bridge Street House, 30-34 New Bridge Street, London EC4V 6BJ
Scroll To Top