Here are some top facts about cheetahs:
1. “Cheetah" is derived from the Hindi word Chita, meaning "spotted one"
2. One explanation to their superior speed is that it was needed for survival against the threat of other species
3. Black tear markings under the eyes are thought to protect against the sun’s glare and to help focus better attention on prey
4. Adult cheetahs may be found alone or in all male groups called coalitions – these bonds can last for a lifetime
5. At Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, the cheetahs are fed 1.36 to 1.8 kg of meat daily – that’s the same weight as two bags of sugar!