Transport secretary Grant Shapps has confirmed the government is working on a quarantine testing procedure that could reduce the 14-day requirement.
Speaking in parliament today after unveiling a new regional "islands policy", he said: "Testing at borders sounds completely logical, but won’t capture most of those who are asymptomatic.
"Due to the incubation period and even using highly accurate tests, the capture rate of those who are actually carrying Covid-19 may be as low as 7%, leaving 93% of people who are actually infected free to go about their business. And most likely in the misguided belief that they don’t carry the virus."
He continued: "However, quarantine combined with testing is more promising.
"So we are working actively on the practicality of using testing to release people from quarantine earlier than the 14 days.
"This could not be a pure test on arrival, but helps the aim of cutting the quarantine period without infringing test capacity or increasing risk."
Shapps said he would update the house on quarantine testing in the coming weeks.