“Touchless” travel and health screening of all employees are among measures being recommended by the US Travel Association as the “new normal”.
The blueprint for post-Covid 19 travel, submitted to the White House, details measures the association says will be needed “across each and every step of a traveller’s journey”.
Roger Dow, president and chief executive of the US Travel Association, said: “The Travel in the New Normal guidance – as well as the entire effort to produce this work – can serve as a model for collaboration between the business and medical communities that forges a path toward healing both the public health and the economy.”
Among the recommendations are:
• Installing barriers, such as transparent screens, to protect employees
• Reconfiguring public spaces to ensure physical distancing
• Limiting contact between staff and clients
• Touchless or low-touch ticketing, check-in and payment
• Establishing a policy of frequent hand-washing
• Regular disinfecting
• Modifying business hours
• Health screening of staff
Dow added: “We will not encourage people to travel until public health experts and authorities have made it clear that it’s the right time to do so.
“Our industry’s focus is on preparing for that moment, and on demonstrating that our preparations are comprehensive and informed by the counsel of top experts.”