A total of six of the 118-seat Embraer 195s are being returned to lessors that previously operated out of Exeter, Norwich, Cardiff and Doncaster airports.
The jet aircraft are being pulled from Exeter and Norwich at the start of the winter season with the last flights operated on October 26.
Cardiff and Doncaster’s jet schedules are being pulled at the same time when the bases at both airports will also be closed with aircraft and crew from other bases continuing to service the airport.
The airline said once the aircraft are gone the 78-seat Bombardier Q-400 will continue as the backbone of its network
The changes are part of the ongoing restructure of the airline which was sold to Connect Airways, a consortium comprising Virgin Atlantic, Stobart Group and hedge fund Cyrus Capital Partners, in March.
While it remains unclear as to what impact the aircraft changes will have on each airport’s route network.
The airline also claimed the changes had nothing to do with today’s issues which saw the airline cancel 32 flights from airports including Birmingham, Newcastle, Southampton, Belfast City, Aberdeen and Edinburgh and which blamed on “operational issues” including a pilot shortage.
Flybe chief executive Christine Ourmieres-Widener said: “Our fleet reduction has always been core to improving our profitability.
“We are committed to assisting all our affected employees across the impacted Flybe bases.
“We remain fully committed to Exeter, Cardiff and Doncaster airports and will continue to offer a comprehensive choice of regional and European destinations operated by our 78-seat Bombardier Q400 aircraft.”
What’s your view? Email email@example.com and let us know your thoughts or leave a comment below.