Nearly 10,000 people have reportedly fled vicious wildfires which have swept across the holiday island since the weekend.
Authorities on the island have branded the fires, which started on Saturday, an “unprecedented environmental tragedy”.
However, the island’s government’s said while the flames have hit Tamadaba national park, home to some of the island’s oldest pine forests, tourist areas were largely unaffected.
In a statement issued on Tuesday (20 August), the government said there had been no significant damage to tourist infrastructure.
President Angel Victor Torres said more than 600 people were working to contain the 10,000-hectare fire, spread across a 75km area. Nearly 500 military personnel have been drafted in to assist, some 230 of whom are directly involved in fighting the fire.
More than 9,000 people have been evacuated. The communities of Mogan, La Aldea de San Nicolas and San Bartholome de Tirajana have been placed on evacuation alert.
Torres added anyone living or travelling in affected areas should follow the instructions of the emergency services, particularly in the event of an evacuation order.
High temperatures, strong winds and low humidity have been cited for the spread of the fire.
The Foreign Office has updated its travel advice, urging any holidaymakers on Gran Canaria to be vigilant to the thread posed by the fire.
“In Gran Canaria, several areas in the north-west of the island have been evacuated due to an ongoing forest fire,” said the FCO in an update issued on Monday afternoon (19 August).
“The authorities are working to extinguish the flames. If you’re in the area or planning to visit, check the latest updates and information on Twitter @112canarias and follow the advice of the local authorities.”