Carnival Cruise Line and Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) say they will resume calls to the Bahamas as early as this week after parts of the Caribbean archipelago were ravaged by Hurricane Dorian.
Carnival said it would make 41 calls to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Princess Cays throughout the rest of September, stressing the islands were “eagerly awaiting cruise guests” after the storm swept across Grand Bahama and the Abaco Islands last week, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.
NCL will resume calls to the Bahamas and its private island Great Stirrup Cay this week, while Royal Caribbean’s private island Perfect Day at CocoCay reopened on Saturday (7 September).
All three lines have also reiterated their commitments to providing aid and financial support to the people of the Bahamas most severely affected by Hurricane Dorian.
Carnival, together with the Micky and Madeleine Arison Family Foundation, has pledged $2 million funding and “in-kind support” for hurricane relief efforts.
Its relief shipments started to arrive in the Bahamas last week, with Carnival Pride and Carnival Liberty due to drop off supplies in Freeport on Thursday and Friday this week (12-13 September).
“Thank you to all who have joined us to support our friends in the Bahamas with donations,” said Christine Duffy, president of Carnival Cruise Line.
“Our work to assist and support continues. As our ships and our guests return to Bahamian ports of call, our visits will make sure our guests experience the beauty of the Bahamas, and that the economy moves forward and jobs will be supported.”