Princess Cruises says it is “fully committed” to supporting efforts to contain the coronavirus outbreak onboard Diamond Princess.
More than 200 people onboard the ship, which has been quarantined off the coast of Japan, have now contracted the infection.
Guests have been confined to their cabins since the outbreak was confirmed at the start of the month, and will remain there under quarantine until Wednesday (19 February).
However, it was confirmed on Thursday (13 February) Japanese health officials would allow guests to disembark and see out the quarantine at a special facility on land with individual rooms and bathrooms, and a wider selection of meals, although this is being offered to medically vulnerable people or those with pre-existing conditions as a priority.
In a video message issued on Friday (14 February), the line’s chief medical officer Dr Grant Tarling said he had been working alongside medical and public health experts from around the world to make sure “the best minds” were collaborating to support everyone onboard Diamond Princess.
Dr Tarling said Japanese health authorities were now being supported by the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, the Red Cross and others.
“We appreciate your patience as we work through this extraordinary situation together,” said Dr Tarling. “We remain fully committed to supporting efforts to contain the virus.”
You can watch Dr Tarling’s full address below.